Friday, April 12, 2013

A Question about Skirts

Today a friend from Facebook asked me a question.... "Do you mind telling me what "church/body of believers" you belong/gather to?  I noticed you all wear skirts.  I grew up in (named a religious group I wasn't familiar with), and we all wore long skirts.  We don't anymore, and you don't often see it anymore so I was just curious..." 




So, here was my reply...


We are Christians... 
"Likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works." -I Tim 2:9-10
I believe that modesty is important in my walk with the Lord. I didn't always feel this way, but more and more, the Lord has put this on my heart, especially in teaching our girls to dress modestly. I believe that I can still be modest wearing pants. It is a little more difficult, but not impossible!! I don't always wear skirts, just most of the time. How about you? Are you born again? Does your fellowship emphasize modesty now? I think many people don't teach this anymore because the culture is such an influence, but I think as Christians, modesty should be something that we try to focus on more, rather than less.


However, the MAIN AND MOST important thing is the heart. If modesty is not coming from the heart, it would be just outward without the inward beauty of a heart that has been changed by the Lord's love. The heart is the most important, that we are washed in the blood of Jesus, walking in Holiness, and obeying the Lord in all things. Then, the outward things should come as an overflow of love to our LORD for all that He has done for us!! My husband is a pastor and we are so blessed to be in a fellowship that teaches modesty and emphasizes it. We as a fellowship do not "ban" wearing pants and there are no rules against that. There are no verses in the Bible that say anything against a woman wearing pants, but just that we as Christians should be dressing modestly.



Sorry if I had a huge response, but it is not every day that I am asked this question, so I am happy to give you an answer to this!
God bless you today!
Love,
Tabitha

No comments:

Post a Comment